Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Viking Hair

 I did post a few weeks ago about Halloween Costume Prep this year and how we put everything together. It was probably the most work we've put into costumes since Bert and Mary Poppins (though the wig for the Beast was quite a project). 

That post was already long, and I had a feeling the hair was going to be a project all on its own, so here we are! As I started writing, I was finishing up a breakfast of Lemon Blueberry Scones. I didn't want to start the actual hairstyling till I washed my hands! 

First of all, I found a great resource at SweetHearts Hair, with this Quick and Easy Viking Hairstyle Tutorial. She is very easy to follow, straightforward, and interesting. If I actually did my hair, I would probably check here a lot for new ideas and tips.

My first challenge was that Lagertha has long, flowing, curly, blonde hair, and I have short, frizzy, brown and grey hair. To overcome that challenge, I bought a wig. This is one I found that looked fairly close to Lagaertha's color and waves. 


It came in a bag, with the net wig cap. 

I also bought a bag of tools, because she mentions in the video using a Topsy Tail, little elastics, a comb, and metallic bead clips to cover the elastics.


My second big challenge was figuring out how I was going to hold onto this wig and style it at the same time. There is no way I can backwards style it with my arms up above my head...I can't even do my own hair! I don't have any kids at home to rope into this kind of thing anymore, and though Paul would do it if I asked, I don't want to put him through that! I thought about buying a stand, but I figured it was a pretty sizeable investment for something I would probably never use again. This morning, I was trying to figure it out, and I saw Orson the teddy bear peeking out at me, so he is drafted as a wig holder/hairstyle helper, and we'll see how it works!





I'll try to stop and take step by step pictures as I go, when I have the hands :).

It is a little tough to find the arch of the eyebrow when the wig isn't on a person...and I'm struggling because I don't want to comb out the curls that are there! 

One problem I am running into is where it parts naturally you can see the cap underneath, so that won't work, and there are short little stubby hairs at the hairline, which are going to stick out when I get the front pulled back. 

After 15 minutes of trying to get the first ponytail, I am thinking that maybe I should have just figured out how to do this to my own hair, or hired someone! AAAAAAARGH!

Exact match, right?



I am laughing so hard right now. I have no idea how I am actually going to do this, but I don't think this is going to work on this wig.


I think this one is going to take some practice!







No comments:

Post a Comment