Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Lemon Cranberry (Blueberry) Scones

 We had some scones at City Brew, and I came home in the mood for scones! I always have cranberries in my freezer, so I looked up a recipe for Lemon Cranberry Scones. My mom taught me to always check to make sure I have my ingredients before I start cooking, but if you've been reading this blog long enough you know I sometimes get in a hurry and forget.

This was one of those times! I forgot about the cranberries until it was time to fold them into the dough! And guess what was NOT in my freezer! Yep, you've got it. Hence, the (blueberries) in the title. 

Good thing blueberries and lemons go well together!

Thought I would include a photo of my aloof assistant. I have two assistants. Sometimes they help me bake (though I never let them get their paws in the dough), and Bogey is assisting with the writing process today while Hadley is helping Paul in the shop with a project.




It wasn't until I just glanced at the recipe again that I realized I completely forgot to put the glaze on the batch I made today. It's alright, they still taste good!

These are very easy to make, and I love the tip about shaping them on the parchment paper for less mess. 

You really don't want to handle them more than you have to because they will get tough and not be as wonderful. Some day I'm going to make clotted cream for my scones, but today was not that day

I'm not sure why I didn't take a picture of the food processor, but the first step is pulsing the softened butter and the dry ingredients into coarse crumbs, then adding the sugar.

Part of the milk and the lemon juice are mixed and set aside for five minutes (which can be done before the pulsing so it's ready). 






Don't overmix, and just add enough milk to take care of any dry spots.
.



Do brush the tops with the egg and milk mixture before putting them in the oven.






The glaze goes on afterward, and then it soaks in beautifully and keeps them from getting too dry.



This last batch I made smaller circles that cut into four smaller scones, but I did forget the glaze.












No comments:

Post a Comment