Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Ginger Creams from Dot’s Kitchen





 From Great Grandma Dot’s Recipe Book:

1 cup molasses

1 cup sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup hot water

1 teaspoon baking soda

Enough flour so spoon will drop slowly

Ginger

Cinnamon

And other spices as desired – let stand overnight – spread thick in pan

Bake and frost with powdered sugar frosting cut in oblongs.


As I’ve mentioned before, these were most likely baked in a wood stove, where time and temperature were variables that didn’t always stay the same. 

I baked them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and they were chewy without being burnt or hard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have shortening, and coconut oil was suggested as the closest substitute because butter and margarine both have more water. I had half a cup of coconut oil, so I did a little margarine combo with half and half. 

I now know why they talk about things being as slow as molasses. I drained the dregs of my molasses bottle but didn’t have the patience to wait for the last little bit, so there’s about a spoonful of honey in there as well.

I had my ingredients set up for a beautiful shot, and then I got impatient with the molasses and dumped everything else in while I was waiting 😂.

Here’s everything but the molasses, hot water, and flour.


I spun it up before adding the flour, and the mixture bubbled out over the sides.



I mixed in the flour until the spoon was a "slow drop".



The amount of stickiness panicked me and I lined my baking sheet with foil and parchment paper.



I would probably use the regular mixer if I made this recipe again because I think it would give me a better idea of the consistency of the dough when adding flour.

This may go hand in hand with anything involving molasses, but this is a messy project.

It didn’t say to cover it with plastic, that’s a cat precaution on my part.

It’s sitting overnight, and we will flash forward to the finished product!












No comments:

Post a Comment