Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

2021 Staff Reading Challenge

 


This year's reading challenge is out and about! 

As I did last year, I'll update throughout the year with books that fit each category. I think #3 is going to be the most challenging, because I am not an audio book person! Maybe a short one that I can listen to on the way to town one morning...

And I'd better hope Phil LeMaitre writes another novel by the end of this year if I want to read a REALLY local author, but I could reach out a little farther geographically and read Casey Rislov, C.J. Box, or Craig Johnson. They're all Wyoming, so they should all count!

The book I own but have never read will be easy, I've got an entire section of my bookshelf devoted to those. And there's another part of a shelf that is made up of books that would possibly stretch into category 4. 

Maybe Dorian Tskioka's got one I haven't read yet! She has a wonderful gift for retelling fairytales.

Categories and Books  

1. A book I own but have never read:

Won this one on Goodreads awhile back, and just never had the chance to get to it till I'd whittled down my library pile.


This one fits a couple of categories. I bought several of this series and this author at a clearance sale awhile back, but I had such a stack at the library that they got put on the back burner. I finally read this one, and will definitely be reading more! It's also a mystery, so would fit category 11 as well.



2.  A Wyoming Book Award Winner or Nominee (Buckaroo, Indian Paintbrush, Soaring Eagle): When I started the post the nominees had not yet been released, so I will update later.

Let 'er Buck by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson




3. An audiobook of any genre:



4. An Emotional Support (or self-care) Book:

We've been reading this as a Professional Development book at school, and I found it really helpful for myself as well as for my classroom and professional life.




5. A Book I Saw Someone Reading:

One of the high school classes in which I substituted was reading this book, and I had to know the rest of the story, so I checked it out from the library, took it home and finished it that night!



6. A Book Made Into a Movie:

I know it's hard to believe, but I'd never read MacBeth. Another High School class was reading it, so I downloaded it to my Kindle and eventually meandered my way through. There are several movie versions of this particular Shakespeare play.


And I finally read The Outsiders! I didn't even know this book existed until I found out I was teaching it in Junior High (Sorry, Middle School) Language Arts. It's amazing!!!







7.  A Re-Imagined Fairytale or Myth:

The Spindle's Touch by Dorian Tsukioka

Absolutely amazing story, I loved it! Definitely would like to read more from this author. I have now read all of the books in her Fairy Tales Through Time Series.




This one was very different. It has lots and lots of fairytales all turned and twisted into one big story.



8.  A Book By a Local Author:




9.  A Book Less Than 200 Pages:

This was our first assigned read for our class this semester, and it was a very quick read. Even with the study guide I think it took less than an hour. Very informative and interesting as well.



10. A Book That Makes You Laugh: 

I was sitting at a table eating lunch, and people nearby (farther than six feet of course) were looking over at me because I kept laughing out loud. This is the book I was reading at the time, and I found it a very fun read.



11. A Mystery, Suspense, Thriller, or Crime Novel:

I read a lot of mysteries, so this was an easy category to fill. Let My Daughter Go is a Christian Mystery Novel and one of my first mysteries of the year. 




And I waited months and months for this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment