Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Two Recipes for Butter Cookies

Today’s endeavor is Butter Cookies as yesterday was my friend’s birthday and I would like to send her some. I was planning on baking yesterday, but schedules change sometimes!

I Pinned two recipes, one from scratch, and a “cakier” one that includes, surprise, a cake mix! It does call for a box of white cake mix, but I have butter cake mix, so it will just be extra buttery.


I am going to start with the Easy, Melt-in-Your-Mouth Butter Cookies, as they require chill time, so we can whip up the other batch while they are relaxing in the freezer.



Turning on the tunes and getting ready to bake!

Both recipes call for 350 degrees. So step one will be turning on the oven.





Recipe 1:  Easy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Butter Cookies

Dropping 1cut up cup (two sticks) of cold butter into my trusty Kitchen Aid along with ½ cup of sugar. I’ll cream these until everything is mixed together and it’s light and fluffy.





I will add that my cooking teacher in 7th grade taught me to crack my egg separately before adding it to the mixture to avoid shells, rotten eggs, mixed yolks and whites if they were supposed to be separated, etc., so I have done it that way since junior high school (and that dates me right there, because now it’s middle school).


And off the eggshell goes to the compost bucket! I am a vanilla eyeballer, though the recipe calls for a teaspoon.



I live at about 6000 feet, so every recipe gets the requisite additional 2 Tablespoons of flour. I am also a dash of this, pinch of that kind of girl, so my quarter teaspoon of salt looks more like this (I promise I washed my hands).





Remember to turn off the mixer before scraping the sides! After everything is incorporated we will shape a rectangle of dough on parchment paper before covering it with another sheet of parchment paper and rolling it out to about ¼ of an inch in thickness. Then we’ll pop it in the freezer to chill before cutting.








Made the egg wash and tucked the dough into the freezer, getting started on the other batch now.










Recipe 2: Kentucky Butter Cake Cookies


Kentucky Butter Cake Cookies start off with a white cake mix, but we have butter cake mix, so we’re going with that. 1 box of cake mix, two eggs, and 1/3 cup of melted butter for the cake itself.





I did mix the cake mix and butter a little bit before adding the eggs so they wouldn’t cook when meeting melted butter. You can also let your butter cool a little. Again, high altitude, so 2 Tablespoons of flour.



Drop the dough onto a  cookie sheet and slide into the oven for 7-8 minutes at 350 then let cool on cookie sheet for 4-5 minutes before moving. Repeat that step until all the dough is baked!









The glaze is ¼ cup butter, ½ cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon of water, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla cooked in a saucepan over medium low until the sugar is dissolved while whisking continuously.









It's time for Recipe 1 ( Easy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Butter Cookies) to come out of the freezer after the dough has chilled. I cut it into rectangles, about an inch and a half by two inches.


And of course I could not find my brush, so we are using this small spatula to spread the egg wash. Add a sanding of sugar, and pop in the oven for 14 minutes turning halfway through.

*EDIT - the recipe said 10 - 14 minutes, but 10 minutes was too long for some of these. I did have the dough not quite uniform, and the thinner ones were done at closer to 7 minutes.













Recipe 2: (Kentucky Butter Cake Cookies) Let these cool, then add the glaze.


I don’t usually use glaze on anything going in the mail, so we’ll see how well these hold up in transit!









I also fill my sink with hot soapy water beforehand so I can clean up while I am waiting!




Thanks for joining me to make these yummy butter cookies (And yes, they tasted great)! We'll try another recipe soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment