Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Long Range by CJ Box (Joe Pickett #20)

Let's just start out with the well known fact that I am a huge fan of Joe Pickett. Yes, I like CJ Box's other novels, and I will read everything he ever writes, but Joe Pickett is one of my favorite characters of all time. I think it's because his personality and the way he lives his life remind me very much of people who I greatly admire for the way they live their lives. Right is right, wrong is wrong, and you do the right thing every time. You try to protect those who can't protect themselves, you look out for others, and fight against the evils of the world.



Loved it! I was definitely on the edge of my seat for a good portion of this book. I was wholly involved and had no idea when people were talking to me, which is definitely the mark of a good book ;). Joe and Marybeth make such an amazing team and I love watching them in action. I always have a hard time deciding how much to say in a review, because I certainly don't want there to be spoilers, but the story was fantastic! It drew me in and I read it cover to cover, only stopping when I absolutely couldn't get people to leave me alone! Definitely some twists and turns, and needing to look deeper into some things.




The one I didn't like with this one is the cover art. The background is perfect and looks like a CJ Box book. But the figure on the cover, the coat, the stance, that's not the Joe Pickett in my imagination. That looks a whole like another mythical Wyoming law enforcement figure (whom I also love, but don't get them confused). I have my very own picture of Joe Pickett in my head, and whether he matches up with everyone else's or not, that is who I see when I read. Mine is a mix somewhere between Chris LeDoux and my dad, and that guy on the cover was really messing with my brain. Plus I think Joe Pickett has better taste in hats. That one's brim is too small (that is where there isn't a comparison with the other lawman who has a pretty nice looking hat).

 The cover for Vicious Circle is much closer to the Joe Pickett of my imagination.




No comments:

Post a Comment