Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cupcake Mysteries by Jenn McKinlay

First of all, I have to tell you that I am absolutely loving these books.  They are fast reads,  lighthearted with great humor and strong female characters, but great little mysteries.  I love the character interaction and how everything weaves together to build into the plot.  Yes, I do figure out "who done it", but I still enjoy seeing how the character gets there. 

Mel and Angela are some of my favorite  female characters in a long time!  They are strong, but sweet, feminine but determined, and one of my favorite things is that the story is the story.  The author didn't use a whole bunch of graphic sex scenes to fill in the plot and make it a fatter book, she just wrote the story.  In fact, there aren't any graphic sex scenes in these novels, which is a very refreshing change from what is available in adult fiction these days.

I have read the first three books in the Cupcake Murders and am waiting on the fourth at the library.  Sprinkle With Murder was cute, and I enjoyed meeting the characters, but as I read Buttercream Bump Off and Murder By the Dozen, I was drawn even deeper into the continued story of these loveable characters and their lives.  I laughed out loud at some of the antics, especially in Murder By the Dozen, and jumped straight into the first book in her Library Lover's Mysteries, Books Can Be Deceiving, which was exciting, and carried a fresh twist at the end!

I eagerly recommend author Jenn McKinlay :).  I know I'll be reading more of her work!

Here's my next blog, reviewing one of her recipes!
http://freshwateracademy.blogspot.com/2012/01/cupcakes-from-mysteries-by-jenn.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm Jenn McKinlay and Google alerted me that you had actually baked my cupcakes, so I had to click the link and see how it worked out for you!
    Awesome. I love your substitutions -- I'm going to try them with strawberries. And thank you for the incredibly kind words you wrote about the books. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete