Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Monday, November 23, 2015

DIY Bouquets and Boutonniere (Bridal Bouquet with Sunflowers, Teal Roses, and Daisies)

I have made bouquets and flower arrangements before, but it's been awhile, so I skimmed Pinterest and looked up a few DIY Tutorials.  Our oldest daughter and her fiance are beginning to plan their wedding, and I just went a little Pin/research crazy on the planning end (don't worry, I haven't sent her all these pins, I'm just quietly putting them on my boards and getting it out of my system so I don't drive her crazy).

There are separate tutorials for fake or fresh flowers, but they are pretty similar (except shelf life and preservation techniques), and the one I found the most informative and helpful is here, at http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/04/how-to-make-a-wedding-bouquet/.

You'll need your flowers, sturdy shears, floral tape, fabric or ribbon of your choice, and I used a hot glue gun instead of pins.

First, choose two or three stems to be the center, foundation of your bouquet.  Arrange those the way you would like them, and wrap floral tape around the stems to secure them in place.

I did not think to take step by step photos (I know, silly me), but there are very good ones on the site I mentioned earlier.

Add other flowers one or two stems at a time, securing them to the center with more floral tape.  When you have the complete arrangement that you want, wrap the entire end (or to a point about 2 inches from the bottom if you want the handtied rustic look), and then wrap your fabric or ribbon over that.

This is where I used the hot glue gun, finding that it is more secure and less likely to come apart.  Since I was using artificial flowers, this didn't harm them in any way, and it made it stay put!

I also added small charms to this bouquet, representing our daughter's interests and personality.  These I attached with jewelry wire tucked into the bouquet, and a dab of hot glue to secure.










No comments:

Post a Comment