Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Monday, July 15, 2013

Chocolate Lasagna

Wow!  I will say that I am never going to make this again unless it's for a larger group than my household (i.e. potluck), because leftovers are calling me even now!  I will resist though,  because any more sugar and I will have a terrible tummy ache!

 I had seen this on facebook several times, and when I surfed Pinterest for a recipe, I found this delicious one, made by a real person in a real home kitchen :)!

You'll need:
1 package of Oreo cookies (or several packages of minis)
6 TBSP melted butter
1-8oz cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
2 TBSP cold milk
1-12oz tub of cool whip (thaw)
2- 3.9oz Jell-O Instant chocolate pudding
3 1/4 cup of milk
1 bag of mini chocolate chips


If you read my blog much, you'll know by now that I always have to add or edit something when I'm building in the kitchen, so here are my changes/additions:
I doubled it, which required quite a few packages of Mini Oreos in order to cover the bottom of the pan (I don't have any small baking pans, just half sheets).


I also could only find one package of instant chocolate pudding, so I used one package of vanilla chocolate pudding instead.  I added instant coffee to the crust layer, and the top layer of whipped cream mixture - that was an oops, adding the entire carton of whipped cream to the cream cheese, but it ended up being delicious, and I used that with the coffee for the top layer.  Couldn't find the chocolate chips I knew I had stashed, so we substituted the carob chips from the freezer (on the inside instead of the top), and they were glorious :).















Instead of crushing the cookies in a food processor as suggested, we smashed them (in a plastic bag) with a rolling pin, then mixed in the melted butter.  I added a little coffee to the butter before putting it into the microwave, so it ended up with that caramelly flavor from the coffee/butter/heat combination. 
Mix the cream cheese till it's light and fluffy before adding the milk and sugar.  Once that's well mixed, add your whipped cream.  Now the original recipe calls for 1&1/4 cup of the whipped cream here and the rest of it as the top layer, but I didn't read quite far enough in the directions and mixed the entire tub of whipped cream here, using half now (bottom layer), and setting half aside for the top layer.


I whipped together the instant chocolate pudding and 3&1/4 cups of milk in the blender so that I could leave the cream cheese mixture in my mixer bowl.   Once the pudding thickens, spread it over the first layer of cream cheese.  Place the pan in the fridge for 15-20 minutes until the layers set a bit.

I sprinkled the chocolate chips on this layer, and let them sink into the pudding while it gelled.







 I added a bit of instant coffee to the rest of the cream cheese/cool whip mixture, then whipped it till it was fluffy again before spreading it across the top and popping it back in the fridge for a few hours before supper.






Served this for Father's Day with another new family favorite, crockpot lasagna!


No comments:

Post a Comment