Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Friendships - The Ages and Stages

What is a friend?  The online dictionary I found defines a friend as "A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts, a person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade."

Remember when you were a kid, and best friends changed faster than the weather?  It all depended on who had the latest toy or the coolest jacket, or was having the most fun birthday party.  What about those friends who have stayed?  Have your friendships been different throughout the years?

I have had several "best" friends through the course of my life.  A few have remained.  First and foremost, my husband is my very best friend.  He is the one person whom I confide in, tell everything to, lean on in time of crisis, depend upon. 

 I also have several good friends who I love and lean on.  One of them has been my closest female friend for years.  We have been through so much together, that she's like a part of my soul.  But, there are times in our lives when we are doing different things with different people, and we grow apart.  I love her so very much, but I don't feel like I have anything in common with her right now, so sometimes it's hard to find things to say when we get the infrequent opportunity to talk.  Thankfully, our friendship is of a bond that is beyond small talk and we get through these times.  

Another great friend of mine I call "sister of my heart".  We've said many times that we must have been separated at birth, because we are so much alike.  I have even seen my beloved and faithful old puppy dog confuse us from a distance, though she figured it out pretty quickly.  I love her so very much, but it's hard to talk to her right now, because they moved away not too long ago, and instead of being thrilled and glad I got to spend time with her (in a way), I still struggle with being sad that she's not here.  I know, I'm working on it :), because I absolutely love to hear her voice when I can.  I tend to write letters, so I can keep in touch and let her know how things are going with us, and let her know I love and miss her.

One of my closest friends I would actually say I inherited :).  She's my sister, blood or not, the aunt to my children, and her family is ours.  We each have a passel of kids, so we have lots of stories to share, and have had occasion to spend over an hour locked in conversation at McDonald's Playland while the kids ran around.  We don't see each other all the time, but we enjoy when we do.  

I've had other friends as well, several characters throughout the years (yes, you know you are characters).  Friends from school, friends from college, friends I met in random places, friends from high school, friends from church and friends who I met through other friends...friends who were friends for a time, who I lost touch with.  Friends who I've recently reconnected with, friends who I talk to from time to time, friends who have been there for ages, whether I get to spend a lot of time with them or not, friends I only see on Facebook, or met in MuMu Land, or CafeMom.  I love all my friends, even if they are friends I don't really see anymore, but there is one friend who I need to spend time with before all others.  

Did you know that there is one friend who sticks closer than a brother? Proverbs 18:24 tells us "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." Who will be with you through anything and everything and love you no matter what?  His name is Jesus.  


John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

James 2:23  And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham 
believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: 
and he was called the Friend of God.


Matthew 6:33   But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Are you seeking the Kingdom of God today?  He can and will be the best friend you've ever had.  All you have to do is ask Him.  Ask Him today!




No comments:

Post a Comment