Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Princess Broken

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to sit down and review this book. I read it in its entirety a few weeks ago, and I am reading it to the girls, one chapter at a time, but I will honestly tell you, the book is so powerful that I could not sit down and review it immediately after reading. My emotions were fully invested, and I had let it sit for awhile before I could actually begin to think about sharing my viewpoint with anyone else. 

I loved this book so much, and it was such a powerful message.  I have wonderful things to say about the story, the characters and their development. 

Please see note below about this section!
****I do have relatively small things that did bug me, and I’m going to mention those first, just to get them out of the way. 

First of all, I am a freak when it comes to proofreading, spelling, word usage and grammar.  I guess that’s what comes from being an English teacher J.  Here and there, there were a few things that had been missed in the editorial cleanup (i.e. in one place the word “here” was more than likely a typo of the word “her”).  It really isn’t a big deal, and it doesn’t affect the story for most people, I just notice things like that.  And believe me, there are errors in textbooks, New York Times Best Sellers, government documents.  If you’re paying attention they are there, so like I said, very small thing. 

Some of the development itself was a little choppy.  I don’t really want to give a specific example, because it would be a spoiler for those of you who haven’t read the book, but it was an interaction between Kate and Sarah, and kind of what was done with Sarah’s character for a while.

Overall, I absolutely LOVED this book.  I do caution you to read it first, if you are planning to share it with your family.  There are some topics that Sarah and Kate both share that are definitely difficult things to deal with.  I would not let my teenager read this alone at this point, but I am reading it with all of my girls together.  I think it’s important that they understand there are things in the world that can hurt you that they know how important it is to show the love of God to others, and they understand what the Bible says about some of the tough topics in the world today.  This is a great discussion platform that opens up opportunities to deal with things that your family may not normally see, but that your kids may see later as teens or adults.

Misty has skillfully woven all of those pieces into A Princess Broken.   She has written the characters so skillfully that I felt as if I was right there holding their hands.  There are always parts of characters that we can relate to in each book that we read.  That’s one of the reasons that we read them, because we see pieces of ourselves!  Sometimes the pieces we see of ourselves are not pretty, and we have to be reminded that God loves us enough to look past those pieces and see the beautiful creation that he made, His Princess.  A Princess Broken is a beautiful reminder of God’s glory, and his mercy, and the plan that He has for each of us

You can find a Princess Broken here:
http://mistygatlin.com/a-princess-broken/

or here:
http://www.amazon.com/A-Princess-Broken-Misty-Gatlin/dp/1470053500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335295465&sr=8-1.

****Notes to add
-The proofreading errors that I found were corrected before the book officially went to print, so that "thing that bugged me" is gone!

-Also, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that even though I did not like the particular interaction that I said was choppy, if it wasn't there, it would have changed the story.  If Kate had done what I wanted her to do at that moment in time, the rest of the story would not have been able to play out the way it did, and it wouldn't have been as good.   


I hope that my original review did not keep anyone away from the book.  I loved this book beyond words, because I believe that each of us has at least a little bit of Sarah or Kate, times when we’ve felt unloved, unwanted, unworthy.  I think it has a lot of great messages and is a wonderful, wonderful story.  I don’t want to detract from the power and the beauty of the story itself.

Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoy this book as much as my family has!





 


 

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


















The interaction that I had trouble with was the transition from sitting in Kate’s house, to her being at the hospital with her dad.  I know it was important for her to go to her dad, there’s no question there.  I felt like Sarah kind of got brushed off.  I know Kate tried to make sure she had a safe place to go, but she then just kind of left her.  I figured she’d just take her with her!  Although, after thinking about it, even though I didn’t like that interaction, I don’t think it could have gone any other way, because the end of the story wouldn’t have been able to play out as it did. 
-Sonja

1 comment:

  1. I finally get the chance to sit and read this. Thank you so much for reviewing the book, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    I'm very much like you when it comes to grammar, etc, so my editor went through it several times as well as a few test readers and myself, and we still missed those whoppers! Luckily we caught them (what I hope to be all of them) before the book was actually released. However, I had ordered about 25 books already, and you received one of those. I apologize for that. The printed book has been corrected, but the eBook had to remain the same, which stinks for a perfectionist like myself.

    I completely agree 110% about a parent reading it first. A friend of mine asked about having her preteen read it, and I suggested the same thing. Younger ages might not be quite ready for some of the topics discussed, but I do know some preteens have already dealt with a lot of the issues. The advice I give to anyone with any book is to read it first or at least WITH your child. It can be something to bring you closer together, too. You know your child more than anyone, so you'll know if she's ready or not.

    Thank you again for such an honest review. You've definitely been one of my readers who kept me motivated to finish writing it. :)

    ReplyDelete