Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Monday, October 14, 2013

One of THOSE Books!

I had actually planned another review today, but this book embedded itself so deeply into my heart and brain that I couldn't put it aside and concentrate on anything else, so it jumped to the top of my list.

I first noticed this book on the YA shelf at my local library.  I was helping my eleven year old look for a book one day, running different descriptions by her to see if anything sounded interesting.  The cover caught my eye, and I picked it up to check out the blurb.  I thought "That looks interesting.  I'll have to remember it."  I put it back on the shelf that day and several more times, knowing that I had a huge stack of holds and a pretty full calendar to boot!

Thankfully, I have an amazing librarian who understands the siren call of a book and has seen me jump a book to the top of my hold pile more than once. 

Hero by Mike Lupica is one of those books that I would add extra stars to Goodreads for...I was incredibly drawn in, from the moment the book opened, with an impending fight in the middle of a snowstorm.  By the end of the second chapter I felt like I knew Zach Harriman, like I was Zach Harriman, I knew his thoughts, I knew his feelings, and I was part of the story.  I found myself wondering who to trust, trying to read between the lines so I could reach into the story and tell Zach who the real bad guy was!

My favorite line from the entire book had to be "The best liars always know how to use the truth to make their lies seem more real." In the classic battle of good and evil, sometimes the sides are clear and defined, and it is easy to know the truth, but sometimes it's hard to discern where the danger really lies.

This story was an incredible journey of a boy becoming a man, growing in knowledge, growing in strength, in character, and learning who to trust.  The story of his journey to become a Hero. 

 When I finished the book, I just sat there holding it to my chest for a moment, liked I'd run a marathon.  I had to savor my last moments before reality intruded, at which point I turned to my children and said "This is a YA book, it is totally age appropriate for any of you, and I highly recommend it."  But who knows, if they don't pick it up on their own, this could very well end up on our read-aloud list!

Have fun with your literary travels, and if you're up for action, adventure, and a really great read, check out Hero by Mike Lupica!  It's probably at your local library, but if you're in a hurry, here are links for Amazon and Barnes and Noble.


No comments:

Post a Comment