Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Blog to Myself

Yesterday I wrote a blog entry to myself.  Yep, that is what I said.  It was one of those cathartic things I suppose.  You know how they always say that you should write down your frustrations or thoughts in a letter, but then not send it (who are they anyway?)?  

Well I did, and it really did let me get things lined out in my head.  I had been praying about a situation without direction, just lumping it all together in "Lord, help me deal with this person, with this situation."  See that?  That there is me assuming the problem is someone else...help me deal with this person?  Nope, it should have been, "Lord, please adjust my attitude and outlook so that I can face this situation with joy and peace, and love, as I should."  

There's no need for me to "deal" with anyone (except maybe my own children when they aren't towing the line), and it's certainly not my place to say whether someone needs to be dealt with (unless of course it's those afore mentioned children)!  As I wrote out my frustrations, cares and worries, I began to understand that what I really needed to do was get off my high horse and stop pretending that I was the queen of the world and that my opinion really mattered (at least in this situation - picking out carpet, now that's a whole different story).  

My point is, all cliches and overused sayings aside, that sometimes when we are struggling with someone or something it might be time to take a step back from the situation, to pray for grace and wisdom, and to let God handle it.  Sometimes He might show us that our own attitudes and actions are what is gumming up the works, and slowing progress, even when we'd like to blame things on someone else.

Matthew 7:1-5


1Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.


Luke 6:41-42


41 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment