Freshwater

Located in the wilds of Wyoming, the name Freshwater was chosen as a Western analogy to Christ. Just as He is the Living Water, and we must have Him to have eternal life, any desert dweller knows the importance of fresh water to life, both for self, and the nourishment of crops or livestock. By taking nourishment in God and His word, we strengthen our own relationship with Him, our faith, and the quality and abundance of our fruitfulness.

Our keystone verse is from Jeremiah, Chapter 17, Verse 8: "For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see whenSave heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."

The fruit that we speak of is mentioned in Galatians 5:22
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

And the heat could be anything we experience that might test our faith in God; trials and tribulations, relationships, anything that focuses our love and attention anywhere but on Him...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

True Grit

Yep, I know it's the title of a recently remade John Wayne movie (and no, I'm not going to get into a debate about Jeff Bridges vs. the Duke), but what is "Grit"?  And I am not talking about grits that go on the breakfast table, or gritty sand between your toes.  I mean actual, real, "True Grit".  Merriam-Webster defines it as firmness of mind or spirit, and unyielding courage in the face of danger.  Determination, perseverance and follow-through are more words that comes to mind when we talk about grit.  I think my favorite is determination, and I wanted to share an example of true determination with you.  

The young man in this video is Cody Ohl.  Cody is a six time world champion calf roper (which is now called  tie down roping in this politically correct day and age). I'm not showing you this video so that you can ooh and ahhh over Cody's athletic skill and ability (though he quite an athlete), but because I consider this one of the neatest examples of determination and grit that I have ever seen.  He didn't need to win this round, he didn't even need to place in this round, he was so far ahead in the standings.  He just didn't have the ability to quit. 




Now I will admit that I do not have that kind of grit most of the time.  When I tore my ACL trying to climb on to the horse, I didn't hop up and continue on my ride.  Thankfully my dad's sweet tempered horse stood there and let me use him for a climbing stool while I climbed to my feet, but continuing on that mission was the last thing on my mind.


There are, however, times that we should have grit and determination.  That we should not quit, that we should never give up.  When I think about Biblical perseverance, continuing to share the gospel against all odds, and bringing the message to all people, the example I think of is the apostle Paul.  


Before I get you really confused, I am not comparing Cody Ohl to the apostle Paul.  I don't even know if Cody is a Christian. I was just using this great modern example of determination.  


Paul wrote epistles, or letters, to numerous churches of the time.  These letters endure today, full of godly wisdom about how to live and what God's will is for us as followers of Christ.  One trait that he discussed time and time again was perseverance, diligence, endurance, steadfastness, sometimes even patience.
In Galatians 6:9 he tells us not to be weary in well doing, for the crop will eventually come if we don't quit (I've included the actual Bible verses below).


Paul talks about this concept in other books of the Bible as well.  Romans 5 mentions that we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know it builds our endurance, and thus our character, which in turn gives us hope.  As soldiers of Christ, we will endure hardness, and all that will live godly in Christ shall suffer persecution (2 Timothy 2:3, 11).


I love Paul's attitude and the fact that he never quit.  Even when he was a bad guy, he was gung ho, never say die, fighting for what he believed in.  How much more so then, when he became a follower of Christ, and  knew that he was sharing God's saving grace with all of the people that he was able to reach.  It was hard, it was tough.  The man was put into prison, he was stoned (and I don't mean that it today's narcotic terms), he was beaten, he was shipwrecked three times, he was whipped, and he truly knew what it meant to endure (2 Corinthians 11:23-33).  I love that his attitude is, "Yeah, it gets tough.  Suck it up and get the job done."


Check yourself today.  Are you continuing on in God's work?  Do you persevere in the face of trouble, pain, or discouragement?  God has the encouragement and direction you need to continue on the course he's set for you.  Open your Bible and see what God has to say about perseverance, diligence, endurance, and even patience. And continue to do the work that God has called us all to do.

Bible Bibliography


Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.



Romans 5:2-5 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.


2 Corinthians 11:23-33


23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.



2 Timothy 4:5


But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.



1 comment:

  1. Awe man, now I really want to find out if that kid was okay.

    ReplyDelete